MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

+2
nikecivic
Crusty Old Shellback
6 posters

Is RO water really worth it?

Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Is RO water really worth it? Empty Is RO water really worth it?

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:07 am

Just some thoughts I had about RO water. Please chime in as you like.

As I was making up more RO water for a water change, 250G, I realised that to get 250G of RO water, it takes at least 1000G of waste water. And that's only with a almost perfectly good running system and a booster pump to run 100 PSI thru the thing. But most of us, like me, are probably more like 1500G of waste water to 250G of good RO. That's a 6:1 raito for you numbers nuts.

So that started me thinking, is it really worth it? If you think about it, what do we do? We remove everything from the waqter except teh water, H2O, then we add a bunch of teh elements we just removed back into the water with the addition of salt, other chemicals, and so on. So is it really doing us any good?

Back in the early days of me keeping reefs, we didn't use RO filters and most people hadn't even heard of them. Yet we had sucessful reefs. Even after RO became a bid thing for reefs, I still was using my filtered tap water for top off's as it was easier and more convient on one of my tanks. And that tank thrived.

So as we profess to be conservationalist in fraging corals and breeding fish, what about the water we waste in making up our RO water? can we get a good enough water by filtering it thru a submicron filter and carbon? This does not produce any waste water. Are there other filtering methods we can use that will not cause any waste water like the RO system does?

Just some thoughts here as I watch my yard getting soaked from all the waste water when trying to make up my RO. I decided this time to go back to my roots per say and have removed my RO membrane from teh system other than using it for my ATO as the regular pressure without the RO membrane in place is too much for my float valve. I'm running a sub micron filter and three carbon filters when I go to make up my water for water changes. We'll see what happens. It work for us for years before RO came about.

One more thought on my rambling here, do you realise how much junk is put into the atsmophere by planes and washed into the ocean when it rains? Or how much gets dumped into it by ships? By the run off from rivers? Yet our coral reefs and fish still survive.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Is RO water really worth it? Empty Re: Is RO water really worth it?

Post by nikecivic Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 am

I remember watching some episodes of "LA Fish Guy" on youtube and he was using carbon filtered water to start a reef tank. So yes back in the day, people used regular tap water but I think the reef tanks now are more sophisticated. I'm sure you can get away with it in a large FOWLR tank. Do you still have coral in your tank?
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Also to chime in on what’s in tap water now as opposed to "back in the early days" is quite different, not to mention what makes it through the municipal filtration process for our consumption may be extremely harmful to corals. Set aside the possibility that RODI filtration removes harmful contaminants like copper and such, I think that the underlying reason for RODI filtration is to cut down on the contaminates that feed algae as well as a piece of mind.

When you look at the waste water aspect, yes it is extremely wasteful but you can utilize that waste water to feed plants, water the lawn, full up the washer machine, Jacuzzi, swimming pool, boot legging moonshine…etc
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Crusty, use the waste water when you make beer. All the elements add flavor to beer!
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Try Kati/Ani. No wastewater, 0TDS, 18.2mOHM. I switched about a month ago, doing great thus far.

BTW, your water contains chloramines that were not present "back in the day" that translates into ammonia. By not removing them at all you will destroy your tank pretty fast.
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Yes I still have some coral and my two RBTA's. My plan is to try growing corals again once I get my light issue resolved. Going to have to supliment teh Sun with LED's I think.

I understand the shift in addatives to teh tap water to make it "safe" for our consumption, ie chloriene, chloramines, floride, etc. But is there not something to ad to teh water to remove it or break it down into non harmful elements? I know there is additives for chloriene and chloriamine, not sure of the others.

Paul, didn't think about the resin aspect. What's the basic cost breakdown per gallon of water? Is this the same Kati/Ani that is used in some water softners and renewed with salt? Is it renewable by some means, ie salt, heat, etc? Just wondering how much of a double edge sword this is, cost of waste water vs cost of renewal.

I know that most house hold water softners would not meet this goal but I actually have a comerical 4 stage water conditiong system that is more than just a water softner. It includes resigns and charcoal along with a few other things. May need to dig into this deeper.

AS for what to do with the excess water. For now, it runs into the yard. But I don't need that much water in the yard. And to use it all for beer would make me a comerical brewer which is not a road I want to go down. I like keeping under the radar as much as possible.

Keep the info flowing guys, your doing great and I'm learning.

dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Not sure of cost per gallon, but they are 98% rechargeable for up to 100+ recharges per side (Kati/Ani) with your basic Muriatic acid (HCl) and Lye (NaOH). The procedures are pretty simple and on the scale of size that I purchased much more amenable to recharging than your standard DI cartridges. Since the resins are separated already too, its a pretty quick recharge.

Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Sounds like I need to pick your brain one day. Unless you have a link to a website I can read up on?
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:46 am

What is kati ani?
    clownfish14
    clownfish14
    Admin

Post by clownfish14 Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:27 am

they are positive and negitive ions (cation and anions)

GO Chemistry!!! cheers
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:47 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:00 pm