MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

5 posters

Aiptasia problem

Reefers-R-Us
    Reefers-R-Us

Aiptasia problem Empty Aiptasia problem

Post by Reefers-R-Us Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:37 am

I have tons of aiptasias. I put a few peppermint shrimp in my tank which did nothing because they disappeared right away. My cleaner shrimp that I've had for a few months doesn't touch them.

Any suggestions?
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Aiptasia problem Empty Re: Aiptasia problem

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:21 am

Super high intensity lazer pointers im trying to get one once I do ill pass it around the club
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:40 am

Allow me to be the voice of caution, that's extremely dangerous, with the type of laser that you would need to kill aiptasia you can easily blind yourself or suffer severe burns with a slight reflection of the laser on the glass, let alone the fish you have in the tank. As far as I know you can't buy such laser over the counter, you would have to purchase all the parts separately and actually make it. With that said though, there are a few threads on RC that people started making those high powered lasers and started killing pests and trimming back large coral colonies from touching other colonies.

If you choose to do it, all I have to say is be extremely careful, there is a lot of responsibility that comes with operating such a dangerous component...be sure to get the proper protective glasses for the specific wave, and be sure that when you do it have the curtains closed (so no one walking by would catch a reflection of the laser)and everyone out of the room kids, pets etc.

I would strongly advise against it though. Using those types of lasers are meant for strict controlled environment. If you blind yourself or someone else there is no reversing it.

Something to think about.
    clownfish14
    clownfish14
    Admin

Post by clownfish14 Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:45 am

They sell some that can pop a ballon at 100 yards its not that powerfull he should be fine
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:02 am

Ok I have connections that allow me to get the super high powered ones (if available). I strongly agree with the huge risk, but most often these lasers come with military spec eye protection. So the main risk you take is harming your fish. I have experience in using these and if I get one for myself I wont be just handing it over. If someone is going to want to use it it will be demonstrated and monitored by myself. But like I said their is a good possibility my connection will not be able to find them (China is a pretty large and confusing place). So I was just putting that out there because it is (when done correctly) a very effective way to get rid of aptaisia and mujanos or however you spell it.
    scotty

Post by scotty Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 pm

they sell a aptasia zapper check it out on this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI2hZgR1j5A
    scotty

Post by scotty Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 pm

its 10 mins in on the video

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content