MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

3 posters

What you guys looking for? What's hot? We'd love to hear from you guys!

Docaquarium
    Docaquarium

What you guys looking for? What's hot? We'd love to hear from you guys! Empty What you guys looking for? What's hot? We'd love to hear from you guys!

Post by Docaquarium Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:41 am

Hey fellow reefers!! We wanted to start a thread and get your opinion on the corals that we see today! What's hot, underrated, bright, overlooked, and over shared? What are your favorites? If you could have one species of corals, which would it be?

We'd love to hear from you guys!

Our team here has mixed opinions on what's the best! I think Acro's are the way to go

what do you all think?
    ericpkeith
    ericpkeith

What you guys looking for? What's hot? We'd love to hear from you guys! Empty Re: What you guys looking for? What's hot? We'd love to hear from you guys!

Post by ericpkeith Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:44 pm

There are a log of folks on this site who could answer this better than me. But yes, Acros are always popular, especially now. Two comments here (and thanks for asking):

First - I'd like to get away from the silly naming conventions and just go more toward WYSIWYG, e.g. organized and priced by species, origin, growth pattern, and color (pegged to a lighting standard, e.g. 20k radiums, 10K LEDs, or a well-known T5 bulb).
    Second - $40 or less frags to keep this hobby affordable. I'm a fan of the "chop shop" approach. I see no problem with buying larger frags from the importers (or well-know coral farms), acclimating them up in grow-out tanks, and then fragging out in smaller pieces at "smaller" prices.
    Second2 - tied to the above, I only know of one supplier that regularly buys "browned out" acro imports and colors them up in grow-out tanks. There's still a lot of species out there that can be the next "Tyree special edition" that are overlooked. Take a chance, buy a brown Acro, put in pristine conditions and see what you get.
    Docaquarium
    Docaquarium

What you guys looking for? What's hot? We'd love to hear from you guys! Empty Re: What you guys looking for? What's hot? We'd love to hear from you guys!

Post by Docaquarium Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks for the reply Eric!

I know what you mean about the browned out acro's. I've gotten a frag from someone before, that was a little brown. Within a month in my system it colored up beautifully! Purple with green polyps, it was a completely different coral.

we're gonna have some wysiwyg coming soon. I love the spathulata acro's. so beautiful!
    ericpkeith
    ericpkeith

Post by ericpkeith Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:02 pm

I'm a big fan of spathulata acros, e.g. thick-branched Aussie Millepora. I don't see too much of that out here for some reason. Maybe it's a cost issue. Here's a link to guy who is in Australia (I think) and take a look at his amazing tank full of Aussie sps.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2204097&page=6

Eventually someone else on this site will respond...

Docaquarium
    Docaquarium

Post by Docaquarium Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:30 am

Yeah, from my experience the spathulatas are very hard to keep. I have 3 small branches in my tank. I used to have 6 branches, for some reason they all decided to bleach with the exception the the last 3. Now it's doing amazing!

-M
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:03 pm

I have to agree with the naming thing. I can remember when it was just a Zoa or a Monti, etc. No fancy name and price tag.

What I'd like to see, but don't have a tank ready for them just yet, is more LPS. Colorful long tentacles swaying in the tanks. Especially a elegance coral that can survive in our systems. They have always been a favorite of mine, yet very hard to keep. I remember when the flower pot corals were the same way, and now folks are propagating them in their tanks.
    Docaquarium
    Docaquarium

Post by Docaquarium Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:55 pm

YES!! LPS's are becoming very over looked. The elegance coral has it's name for a reason. Smile It's both elegant and beautiful!
    Duncan's are great too. If placed in the right flow, the coral looks really cool!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:58 am