MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

Navy tests algae fuel in former warship

Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Navy tests algae fuel in former warship  Empty Navy tests algae fuel in former warship

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:18 pm

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/16/navy-moves-closer-to-great-green-fleet/

If the retired destroyer Paul F. Foster arrives in Ventura County Thursday without breaking down or catching fire, the Navy will be one ship closer to its “great green fleet.”

The Navy launched its largest test of algae as a ship fuel Wednesday at a San Diego Bay pier.

The Foster has a gas-turbine engine similar to those in destroyers and cruisers around the U.S. fleet. If the 50-50 blend of algae fuel and regular marine diesel performs well, the Navy will feel confident that it can be used in actual warships.

Once again the ship I work on has made the news. I didn't sail on this trip though as it was just to get fuel and the media circuis in San Diego was not something I looked forward to dealing with. So my Boss went instead.

The big down side. Regular DFM cost about 4 bucks a gallon. This bio fuel is 80 bucks a gallon. They need to really work on that part.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:01 am