MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

2 posters

Best way to film tank? SLR Digital...HD Camcorder?

ericpkeith
    ericpkeith

Best way to film tank? SLR Digital...HD Camcorder? Empty Best way to film tank? SLR Digital...HD Camcorder?

Post by ericpkeith Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 pm

So, I've been trying to film my tank and I just can't seem to get good video quality. I've tried with my iPhone and also with my Canon SD Digital Camcorder. I guess I can also say that my photos suck too. I've tried a point-and-shoot 12MP Kodac but the results are less than spectacular. What can I buy that's not too expensive that can do both? I can borrow a digital SLR...should I use this? Any advice?

Lastly, I've had to convert the avi files to mp4 on my camcorder. Anyone know some good free software for this that doesn't leave the "ink mark" at the top or center?

See you all at the meeting.

FYI...I'll add a long video with my annoying John and Ken voice. Even in Mp4 in standard def...it's still 70MB. You guys you film in HD must have 200MB+ videos.

Ace25

Location : https://www.facebook.com/groups/CentralCaliforniaCoastReefers/

Best way to film tank? SLR Digital...HD Camcorder? Empty Re: Best way to film tank? SLR Digital...HD Camcorder?

Post by Ace25 Mon May 13, 2013 6:14 pm

What type of lighting are you running and what version iPhone do you have? I am pretty sure you are running LEDs. I know some cameras have severe issues with taking photos/filming under LEDs. I use a new iPod Touch which is the same camera as the iPhone 4S and they look great on my tanks for being an iPhone camera, but the iPhone 4 had a terrible camera in comparison. The iPhone 5 has the nicest camera out of them all.

As for DSLRs I have had good luck with the newer Canon and Nikon cameras, but the older ones are the opposite, terrible quality pics and video on LED tanks or tanks with a lot of blue light (talking 5+ year old cameras). The older cameras also have problems taking magnified photos through a Portal where as the newer ones work fine. I am not a die hard camera guy so I can't explain why that is, just know the results I got when I tried.

Best tip I can give that works for me, always shoot in 'Macro' mode, even if you are not filming that close. I step back from the tank, select macro mode on the camera, zoom in until the 'flower' turns from white to yellow letting me know I am in Macro range, then start shooting.

As for software, I just use Youtube. I never had to convert a video when uploading it there. There are so many free types of software out there that do that though, just have to look closely to make sure you are not getting a 'paid' software that puts a watermark on the video until you pay/register it. I haven't tried this one, but a quick google search found me this that looks completely free, just make sure to UNCLICK any extra junk software that it may try to include during install.

http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html
    ericpkeith
    ericpkeith

Best way to film tank? SLR Digital...HD Camcorder? Empty Re: Best way to film tank? SLR Digital...HD Camcorder?

Post by ericpkeith Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm

I have an iPhone 4 and a Canon FS200 SD Digital Camcorder. The iPhone 4 captures far more detail (greater clarity) as it's in HD but not good for zooming in of course. The Canon zooms in very well but the colors are off and the video, when converted, looks very grainy...totally lacking any sharp clarity that I've seen on youtube.

Is there an inexpensive digital SLR that can do both photos and HD well? If not, I'll wait until I can upgrade to an iPhone 5.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:30 am