MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

+2
MxReEfEr92
dwolson2
6 posters

Moving to Minot, Suggestions welcome

dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Moving to Minot, Suggestions welcome Empty Moving to Minot, Suggestions welcome

Post by dwolson2 Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:40 pm

So as many of you know, I am moving to Minot ND in May.
    The question I pose to you, is what do you think is the most cost effective way to stock my tank?
    There is a LFS, but I remember a friend of mine telling me how much he paid for a fish(don't remember which) and it was quite expensive. I've done the craigslist thing and there isn't anything close. I went to the closest forum to my knowledge(http://redrivervalleyreefers.com) but they are 4 hours away. I asked the guys on there if there are any closer clubs, but it doesn't appear to be(might have to start my own Wink )

What things could I do to get the bacteria load up enough so I could maybe add 4 or 5 fish at a time(once the rock is cycled) The reason for that is if I order from reefs to go or live aquaria if its over $150~ its free shipping. Or would there be another way to safely keep 5 fish in QT until they go into the tank(or until I can put them in one by one)

Luckily I have plenty of time to work on this Smile
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Moving to Minot, Suggestions welcome Empty Re: Moving to Minot, Suggestions welcome

Post by MxReEfEr92 Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Just stay in cali problem solved
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Moving to Minot, Suggestions welcome Empty Re: Moving to Minot, Suggestions welcome

Post by dwolson2 Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

I figured you were going to say something like that. Unfortunately thats not an option(although I am happy to go closer to family)
    clownfish14
    clownfish14
    Admin

Post by clownfish14 Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 pm

i would use some pure ammonia. you can get it from dr tim. and i would dose that for a while to get your bacteria levels up. that way you can add a couple of fish without worrying about shocking the tank
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 am

Before adding any fish right. Which stuff is it.
    clownfish14
    clownfish14
    Admin

Post by clownfish14 Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:09 am

Yes. Just look on drtims site. He sells a bottles of pure amonia for fishless cycling
    Sandman
    Sandman
    Charter Member

Post by Sandman Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:28 am

Dr. Tims One and Only is what I used to cycle my tank both times. You can add to the tank and put fish in 1hr later (so the bottle says). I have used it every time and never had a cycle.

For fish, order them online; live aquaria, bluezoo, etc.
    clownfish14
    clownfish14
    Admin

Post by clownfish14 Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 am

One and only does work if you feel like spending the $80 on a bottle of it :/ that is what i did and truthfully it was really not worth it. You could get the same thing done with just the ammonia in 3-4 weeks and that way you save $80 to spend on fish and you are positive the tank is cycled.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:35 am

Derrick doesn't mind spending the extra money to get what he wants. Knowing him he woould gladly pay $100 for "one and only"... Wink
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks Jimmy, I get that comment (He is referring to me not haggling down a price of a trailer that I asked to buy; it’s also 1K$ cheaper than any of the used ones I've seen)
    As for the one and only, I may email Dr.Tim about it. I want to know if I can put in 3 or 4 fish initially if I use it, or what I would need to do, in order to accomplish it.
    Also, I am hoping to go to CFM or the likes (where he would/might be) and get the products at a cheaper rate. It only has a 6 month shelf life if not stored in a refrigerator, so I need to get it closer to the date I leave(according to the website)
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:21 pm

All I'm saying is you never pay the asking price...NEVER! that's all i'm saying
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:00 pm

LOL, lesson learned for next time Smile

Although, if memory serves me correctly, you did pay my asking price for the dual reactor Wink
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm

a reactor and a vehicle are 2 seperate things
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:23 pm

sisterlimonpot wrote:All I'm saying is you never pay the asking price...NEVER! that's all i'm saying
    should have said, never for anything big Wink
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 am

ok so I think we should just do what we discussed. Grow all that stuff out and give it to me Ill frag a small piece of what I want and will just ship the corals to you as well as frag you a bunch of stuff from my tank, you just pay for shipping.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:42 am

I'm still down for that, but the fish is going to be another thing. I may try to bring some with in a cooler, but it would depend on if I get a house right away. If I don't, I'm going to try to find someone there with an established tank to put some corals in. A few guys are already bugging me to bring some west coast stuff there.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:29 pm

I could attempt fish, but we should practice with damsels.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:18 pm

That would be fine with me. I might try the cooler trick.... Not sure yet though.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:46 am

If your buddies want also I can pick up frags for them and ship them out with your package.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Sweet, I will let them know!
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Are you going to be a coral dealer out there hehe. Sounds like you need a frag tank and you'll be in business.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Thats a good Idea derrick, your should set up a frag tank
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:57 pm

I think I'm going to, the selection compared to here is horrible!
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:27 pm

hey we can talk when I cime to pick up my ATO
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 pm

don't be so quick to assume there isn't a market there. just because the internet doesn't yield results doesn't mean there isn't a selection. people still trade through other means. when I lived in Wyoming, the guy that I bought all my corals from didn't really advertise online. it was all through word of mouth. if you notice, the majority of people that have great reefs don't frequent the forums I guarantee there's people there in minot that has nice tanks. there were people all through Wyoming and Colorado with awesome corals to choose from.

I'm sure that you'll find everything there that we have here except there will be a larger price tag on it due to location, and that's to be expected because of location. if you and cory wish to go into business you'll have to consider cost of postage, survival rate etc... you'll probably realize that there isn't very much money to be made.

dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:38 pm

MxReEfEr92 wrote:hey we can talk when I cime to pick up my ATO
    OK
    sisterlimonpot wrote:don't be so quick to assume there isn't a market there. just because the internet doesn't yield results doesn't mean there isn't a selection. people still trade through other means. when I lived in Wyoming, the guy that I bought all my corals from didn't really advertise online. it was all through word of mouth. if you notice, the majority of people that have great reefs don't frequent the forums I guarantee there's people there in minot that has nice tanks. there were people all through Wyoming and Colorado with awesome corals to choose from.

I'm sure that you'll find everything there that we have here except there will be a larger price tag on it due to location, and that's to be expected because of location. if you and cory wish to go into business you'll have to consider cost of postage, survival rate etc... you'll probably realize that there isn't very much money to be made.

I didn't say there wasn't a market, only that the coral SELECTION was bad. All the stuff I've seen is expensive and boring(compared to what we have here)
    I wouldn't try to make it into a business, by being the middle man, but I wouldn't mind buying some cool stuff for my tank, and fragging it, growing it out and selling it. It would be more of a regain some of the expense in shipping coral over from CA. I think it could be profitable if I were to say rent a car, drive out, buy a R%^&* ton of colony's and go back, frag them and grow them out a bit, then sell them. I, at this moment, am not willing to do that. I think there will be some people wanting stuff, just not as many and in such a dense location. They are having an expo like our FRAG in January, so next year I am going to see how the attendance is, and go from there. It would be really cool to get some colonies from CA, drive them to ND, frag and grow them out, figure out how much it cost, and resell them at near cost(hopefully very cheap) and flood the market with some cool stuff. I would def have to figure the cost before going down that road, but its a possibility.

Long story short, I want to see some cool stuff out that way. Seems like the stuff gets grabbed before it even gets a chance to make it out that way.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Why not minot? Because Freezin is the reason!!
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Did Jimmy teach you that?
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:42 am

Nope my AF buddy, I told him you were moving from cali to there and he started laughing soo hard and then told me that.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Tell him the reason I want to go is its close to home for us. He would probably understand.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:00 pm

No, it's because he has never been there and and no idea what' in Minot...
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:46 pm

I've been to Minot twice there bucko!
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:56 pm

...and you don't like it?
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:58 pm

I was talking about the guy that started laughing... Bucko
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Ah LOL. I do like it. Went there in the summer and late winter(Feb)
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:49 pm

My buddy just went there 3 weeks ago it was freezing
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Then your buddy is a wimp(nice way of putting it)
    All joking aside, yes its cold in the winter, but its not the end of the world.I like the area(Midwest) and the traffic(or lack there of). Its a nice place to raise a family. The city of Minot, is close to the size of Ventura/thousand oaks. So I wont completely be in the sticks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:08 am