MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

April 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

+11
805reef
shortbus
seamonkey
bvysochin
dwolson2
dfladermaus
clownfish14
nikecivic
sisterlimonpot
Sandman
scotty
15 posters

Group buy formerly help getting a good clean up crew

scotty

Group buy formerly help getting a good clean up crew  Empty Group buy formerly help getting a good clean up crew

Post by scotty Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 pm

i need to get a clean up crew for my 120 gallon does anybody know where i can get a good package deal. or does anybody know which exact snails crabs etc.. to get for my reef tank thanks
    Sandman
    Sandman
    Charter Member

Group buy formerly help getting a good clean up crew  Empty Re: Group buy formerly help getting a good clean up crew

Post by Sandman Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey Scott, although I am new to this hobbie I have found that Nassarius Snail (sand sifting snails) peppermint shrimp ( possibly eat Aiptasia) cleaner shimp, Turbo Snail, and Astrae Snail (green algae) are good additions and all reef safe. I personally do not have hermit crabs, although Blue Knuckle or Electric Blue Leg hermits are reef safe, look cool, and eat constantly. STAY AWAY FROM HAIRY RED LEG HERMITS!! I hear people swearing by drones of small hermit crabs, although I have not added them YET. I like liveaquaria.com, and they have clean up crew package deals. Hope this helps!
    Sandman
    Sandman
    Charter Member

Group buy formerly help getting a good clean up crew  Empty Re: Group buy formerly help getting a good clean up crew

Post by Sandman Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:02 pm

I was just looking at our sponsers and I found a great deal for a clean up crew. I spent the same about for far less. http://www.reefs2go.com/product/INV_CUC-SMALL/Live-Saltwater-Algae-Eating-Crew.html

sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:03 pm

I was going to suggest reef2go. I personally wouldn't get turbo snails because they are so destructive and they don't live.long anyway. and again, I personally wouldn't vet hermits either because when they outgrow their shell the go hunting for a new one and will kill the snails you have.

so what I have and suggest is nassarius, ceriths and astreas for snails and emerald green crabs.
    Sandman
    Sandman
    Charter Member

Post by Sandman Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:59 pm

sisterlimonpot wrote:I was going to suggest reef2go. I personally wouldn't get turbo snails because they are so destructive and they don't live.long anyway. and again, I personally wouldn't vet hermits either because when they outgrow their shell the go hunting for a new one and will kill the snails you have.

so what I have and suggest is nassarius, ceriths and astreas for snails and emerald green crabs.

I have read that Turbos are distructive, basically bulldozing rocks so they can satisfy their appetite. I really enjoy watching my nassarius snails, very interesting and quick.

As far as the emerald green crabs, do you ever have then picking at polyps, Zoa's, or soft corals? I have read, although not experienced, that if they are hungry they will go searching for anything and everything they can find.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:29 pm

throughout the years I have had many emeralds and they never ate anything but algae and valonia off the rock. I have read that there are look a likes that aren't true emeralds that might do that but I don't know how you can tell them apart though.
    scotty

Post by scotty Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:05 pm

thank you for the info now i know what to look for when i purchase my clean up crew
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:34 am

this site is also good

http://www.reefcleaners.org

clownfish14
    clownfish14
    Admin

Post by clownfish14 Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:39 am

^^ thats who i use
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:45 pm

if enough people want stuff I can put together an order. I think I can get pretty decent prices when I order in larger lots. Let me know.

Personally, I prefer the margerita, nerite, and large zebra stripe turbos. The ceriths are good, but once you get rid of film algae in your tank they tend to disappear. Nassarius are ok, but typically they tend to starve or die out too fast. I prefer the conchs, they are hearty and eat lots of stuff so they live longer. Hermits are ok, but I usually use 1 per tank. Other stuff like cucumbers are awesome for cleaning the sand too.
    scotty

Post by scotty Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:37 am

ya if you can get it at a good price im in just let me know when.
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:17 pm

scotty wrote:ya if you can get it at a good price im in just let me know when.

If you want we can do a "group buy" kind of thing on clean up crew. Just let me know.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 pm

I am down for some snails (margerita and large zebra stripe turbos). How many do you need to do a group buy and how much would it be?
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:11 pm

would need at least 3-4 people who want stuff.
    scotty

Post by scotty Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:56 pm

133 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

39 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

45 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

31 Large & 17 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

i was looking at this clean up package for my tank what do you think. if we do a group buy im in i need a clean up crew for my 120gallon this is off reef cleaners.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Scotty,
    what size tank do you have?
    scotty

Post by scotty Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:22 pm

120 gallon
    scotty

Post by scotty Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:23 pm

i need some of your knowledge you think one day you can come take a look at it and give me some pointers
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:01 am

Once everything is stable you won't need a much of a cleanup crew. I made the mistake of getting a long spine urchin and it was grinding away at my coraline.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:06 pm

I spoke with Paul today and he said that if enough of us want livestock, he can get a better deal and pass the savings onto us club members.

What I would suggest is that everyone that wants livestock, to post it here and hopefully Paul will be able to let us know when we have reached the mark, I believe he said $200 which if you think about it, it won't take long to get there.

I know that in the past he wanted us to pick the fish up the same day they came in, so he didn't have to hassle with acclimating everything.

So post what you want and we can consolidate everything to save...
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:03 am

what time frame are we looking at? order together and money in on the 1st?
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:55 pm

there's no time frame except those that want/need them. as for price savings we have to get an order above $200 before Paul can place the order.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:10 pm

so who will cooridinate all the orders and give them to paul? Does this inlcue fish, corals, inverts etc?
    Sandman
    Sandman
    Charter Member

Post by Sandman Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:29 pm

I want in on this, I will need at least 20 small hermits.
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:57 pm

I would say that the best way to do this is for everyone that wants something to email a point person with their list of interests. Set a cut off date for people to get into the buy, then once everyone has sent a list the point person can send a complied list to me and I can get pricing on any non-standard stuff. Not all the prices will be as low as some of the florida collection operations, but you wont have to pay shipping etc for this stuff so it should even out somewhat.

Here is a breakdown of pricing for inverts etc:
    Hermits - 0.5-0.6$ ea*
    Emeralds - 2.6**
    Pom Pom - 4
    Cleaner shrimp - 6-7
    Coral banded - 4
    fire - 12
    harlequin - 11
    peppermints - 3.5**
    tiger tail cucs - 8
    sea hare - 9
    sand sifting star - 6
    royal urchin - 5.5
    nerite snail - 0.45*
    cerith - 0.45*
    margarita - 0.35*
    zebra turbo - 0.7*
    conch - 2

All the ones with a single star have discounted pricing once we hit 50 and 100 units. The ones with ** drop at like 12 and 24. So if we get bigger orders/numbers in the order we can get better prices.

Thanks guys, this should be good for anyone that wants to refresh their tank or are just getting started.

bvysochin

Post by bvysochin Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:37 pm

Interested in getting a bunch of stuff, just curious as to where it is coming from.. geographically..

Unlike every single order from them in the past.. my recent $200 order from reefs2go suffered about 40% casualties and they were great about issuing a credit..
    seamonkey

Post by seamonkey Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:05 am

I would be up for a group buy for a clean up crew. I have a 150g reef and need to re-stock. I'm looking to get an assortment similar to the variety mentioned above, 200-300 total animals. I would like to try a few emerald crabs as well.

Kevin
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 am

Why don't we set the date as next meeting, bring the money to the meeting. Send me a pm with your email, and I will make up a spreadsheet order form and send it out. Then total it up. I have done something like this before, just wanted to see if anyone else wanted to volunteer... Lol
    scotty

Post by scotty Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:36 am

who wants to be the one to take the order Very Happy
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:37 am

Oh, I should let you know, it will more than likely be tomorrow you get the email.

edit, just made it. send me you email and I will forward the spreadsheet.

Also, I am going to use the "full" prices not the reduced, then when we cross that bridge I can fix it as needed(AKA return the difference)
    seamonkey

Post by seamonkey Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:14 am

Paul, can we also include fish and coral with the group buy? I am going to order a bunch of inverts, but would like a few fish and coral as well.

Thanks! Kevin
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:11 am

what type of hermit crabs are they? blue or red, and which is the one we want?

I can run up the buy, again, send me your email, fill out the sheet, and send it back. Orders will be due at the next meeting, although you can send them earlier than that. I would like you to wait until a week before the meeting if possible, unless you are for sure on what you want(I don't want to have to hand jam the numbers multiple times)
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:22 am

thanks for putting this together.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:48 am

no worries, also, if you think I already have your email, assume that I don't and resend it to me, it will be my way of finding out who wants to be in it.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 pm

No minimum on this per person right? just as long as collectively we hit 200?
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:26 pm

No minimum per person.

I can do fish, but I have no way to hold them, so they would have to be picked up at my house the day they arrive.

Geographically as in where in the world? Or where is the wholesaler?

Lastly, the hermits will just be what they have in stock, right now its just blue legs and red legs from mexico. Sometimes they get others. Often they have scarlets too, but those are about 3-4x the price.

dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:12 pm

how much would a yellow tang be?
    shortbus
    shortbus

Post by shortbus Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:36 am

dwolsom,

don't you already have a tang in your 75? or are you asking the price of a yellow tang for someone else?
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Any inquiries about fish etc just shoot me an email or PM. Email is the best as I will get back to you immediately.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:12 pm

whats the status of the GB?
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:20 pm

I only received your email back, no one else as of yet.
    seamonkey

Post by seamonkey Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:23 pm

just emailed my order.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:27 pm

well, we are going to need more people if we want to hit 200 to qualify for the GB.
    clownfish14
    clownfish14
    Admin

Post by clownfish14 Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:28 pm

darn if my new tank was set up i would be all over this!
    seamonkey

Post by seamonkey Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:29 pm

my order should meet our requirement for $200.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:39 pm

seamonkey wrote:my order should meet our requirement for $200.
    lol, I haven't gotten it, but I will post up here when I do.

You sent it to my hotmail....lol got it
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:25 pm

ok just going over everything, I have Mine, Mikes, Lukes, and kevin's. Is anyone else going to go in on this buy? If not, I can collect the money and we can get it going early.

Also, again there is no minimum. We made the 200$ min that we needed collectively.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Alrightly then! Maybe we can get the CUC by next week?
    805reef

Post by 805reef Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Can I still get in on this? I dont have any snails/crabs. I need anything i can get. If it's too late, that is fine. Just figured I would ask

EDIT:

Also, Paul, can you get those little red star fishes that people have at the shows? My wife loves those things but we havent been to a show in so long.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:41 pm

You can get in, the cut off is the next meeting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:23 am