MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

+2
Sandman
sisterlimonpot
6 posters

tunze questions...

sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

tunze questions... Empty tunze questions...

Post by sisterlimonpot Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm thinking about trading/selling 2 of my mp40s for 2 tunze 6105's but I don't know enough about them to know what to get.

As I understand it the 6105's are controllable similar to the mp's.

what I don't understand is what exactly I need to make these controllable ... do I have to buy the 6105's separately from the driver? and do they sell different drivers that have different programs? does tunze sell a packaged deal?

essentially I want to have them run in a similar fashion as the reefcrest mode.

what do I need to get to do this?
    Sandman
    Sandman
    Charter Member

tunze questions... Empty Re: tunze questions...

Post by Sandman Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 pm

The 6105 can be controlled by a controller such as an Apex. If you want to get the controller that is made for these pumps, you will need this.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 am

The only way to get a like reef crest mode is to run the apex/ac3, and put it into the programming. If you run an apex, you don't need the controller at all(from what I have read) You will only need to buy the aquasurf(ac3(Link) or VDM(APEX) and the stream cables(link)
    MadFigs

Post by MadFigs Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:10 pm

I use tunzes. I have two nanostream 6055s.

If you just buy the powerhead and plug them in they run full blast. You need to buy a controller like the 7092, 7095, or 7096.

So, the questions are: How big is your tank? Do you plan on upgrading w/ more powerheads or a wavebox? Do you have a controller? If so, which one?

I just recently got an apex jr, and I'm planning on running my powerheads through my controller once I get the appropriate expansion box.

Hit me up w/ any questions if you have them.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:41 pm

I have a 125 and only going to run 2 in the back corners, im going to rely on mp60's to do most of the main waterflow, I want the tunzes to create turbulence in the dead spots throughout the back of the tank, but don't want it to just be one speed I want randomness.

I have an ACIII and seems like the aquasurf will hook up to the ACIII... is that true?
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:58 pm

yes from what Neptunes website says.... click the link i gave you before
    MadFigs

Post by MadFigs Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 pm

6105 seems like a little overkill for back corners imo. They move a lot of water. Tunze make rock covers from them too so you can hide them.
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 pm

I run 2 6100s on my ACIII with wave control. You just program the controller to do the wave function.

You are going to run 2 MP60s on a 125? I think that is the better question....
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:48 pm

his tank is 6 foot long though. He was saying before that the 40's had a hard time pushing water as far as he had wanted.
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Two 60s are overkill imo...but that is just me (especially for the price). The 40s on each end should be sufficient to push a lot of water around. You could also do the tunzes which push water farther in the tank due to their design. I used a pair of 6100s in my 180 and there was flow everywhere (almost too much flow).
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:11 pm

The 60s won't be set to 100%, they will more than likely be turned way down. Are the 6100's controllable?

dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes, but they dont make 6100's anymore. they upgraded them. Im not up on the newer tunze models, but they have a lot of controllable versions out now with lots of flow ranges.

I think for the price you would spend on running mp60s at half speed you would be better off with an alternative. Those 60s are not cheap.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:48 pm

I agree with you. they are expensive.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:19 am

(2) MP40w's work for my 6' tank. I thought you were a 'Vortech' guy! Laughing
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 am

he still is, he just wants to supplement the back to prevent dead spots.

off of the tunze site:
    6105:792-3434 gph
    6095:528-2510 gph
    Instead of the 6105, since its only for dead spots in the back, why don't you just go for a 6095? Its the largest nano pump they have, so its still small but puts out a good amount of flow. You have a modded maxijet, this could be double or half of that pump. so you could dial it in perfectly.

Also size comparison is 90mm diameter with 50 mm output for the 6105 vs 70mm diameter witha 50mm output for the 6095.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:10 pm

nikecivic wrote:(2) MP40w's work for my 6' tank. I thought you were a 'Vortech' guy! Laughing
    I never have been a person that supports one particular brand, it never made sense to me why people got passionate about a company or product, the company really could care less about them, as long as you keep buying their product, they're happy. Like the whole ford/chevy thing or saying "my team" or "we have the best..." when refering to a sports franchise. Why do we take ownership of the product or idea when we purchase the product. That's the vehicle of advertising, people seek validation in the choices they make, and it's not necessary. I own a Lexus but I don't force people to listen to how I like the car and I don't assume ownership in the company or defend them when someone talks bad about them, Lexus isn't paying me to defend them and I don't need to justify my purchase.

(bring it back around) I have an ACIII but really like what reef angel is doing. same with the tunzes, because they offer a different platform that supports my needs, I'm not going to refuse to buy them simply because I owned vortechs first.

I really like the vortechs but they won't support what I want to do in the back of the tank.

if anything id like to purchase the tunzes so I could talk smartly about them when someone asks about them.
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Vortechs definitely have their limitations. The service from Tunze is top notch, so its not a bad choice.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Obviously, my comments weren't supposed to be taken so seriously! Just saying that the vortechs work for me and may not work for everyone else.

sisterlimonpot wrote:
    nikecivic wrote:(2) MP40w's work for my 6' tank. I thought you were a 'Vortech' guy! Laughing
    I never have been a person that supports one particular brand, it never made sense to me why people got passionate about a company or product, the company really could care less about them, as long as you keep buying their product, they're happy. Like the whole ford/chevy thing or saying "my team" or "we have the best..." when refering to a sports franchise. Why do we take ownership of the product or idea when we purchase the product. That's the vehicle of advertising, people seek validation in the choices they make, and it's not necessary. I own a Lexus but I don't force people to listen to how I like the car and I don't assume ownership in the company or defend them when someone talks bad about them, Lexus isn't paying me to defend them and I don't need to justify my purchase.

(bring it back around) I have an ACIII but really like what reef angel is doing. same with the tunzes, because they offer a different platform that supports my needs, I'm not going to refuse to buy them simply because I owned vortechs first.

I really like the vortechs but they won't support what I want to do in the back of the tank.

if anything id like to purchase the tunzes so I could talk smartly about them when someone asks about them.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:51 pm

oh no it wasn't taken seriously, I was so bored this morning I felt like getting my soapbox out. Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:13 am