MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

4 posters

Carbon/Poly Filters

steyely
    steyely

Carbon/Poly Filters Empty Carbon/Poly Filters

Post by steyely Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:40 am

I am thinking about running another media reactor in line with my phosban reactor. Currently my nutrient export/filtration system consists of a filter sock, skimmer, GFO reactor, and a refugium. Wondering how many of you guys are using carbon or poly filters and if you run them 24/7 or intermittently?
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Carbon/Poly Filters Empty Re: Carbon/Poly Filters

Post by dwolson2 Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:41 am

Are you talking about running carbon, like in a reactor? Whats a poly filter?

I run carbon in a BRS reactor 24/7 although I have heard of people running it for 1/2 the day.

What media are you planning to run? Bio pellets? I have heard some bad things about those.... after I already bought a big bag of them.
    steyely
    steyely

Post by steyely Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:12 am

I was thinking about running carbon in a reactor. Poly filter is a specialized filter pad made specifically for fresh/saltwater aquariums. Apparently it changes color based on what is being absorbed. They came up a lot when I was looking over posts about people who use carbon in their systems.

I bought a small bag of bio pellets when I was running low on GFO, thinking I would switch over and try it. I have decided against it since reading so many mixed reviews about them.

Thanks for the inputs though!
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:09 pm

I too run granulated activated carbon 24/7. as for keeping nutrients down, I dose vodka and skim heavily. I was going to change over to bio pellets but Paul gave some good reasons why I should research it more, and im glad I did.

as for poly filter, it may be a good idea to have them on hand just in case...
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:35 pm

I use polyfilter on and off. The large pad is over $30 I believe. The only reason I use it is to replace the filtersock when I will be unable to change the filter often.

Also, the poly can be used to remove unwanted medications etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:57 am