MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

5 posters

Negative effects of not running a skimmer

nikecivic
    nikecivic

Negative effects of not running a skimmer Empty Negative effects of not running a skimmer

Post by nikecivic Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:18 pm

I was contemplating running skimmerless. Since my skimmer is running 24/7, I could replace the skimmer with cheato or xenia colonies as a natural filtration. I would run the a light in the refugium for about 12 hours. What are your thoughts or experiences?
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Negative effects of not running a skimmer Empty Re: Negative effects of not running a skimmer

Post by dwolson2 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:36 pm

How big of an area would you need to keep up with the bioload? I know my tank, when my fuge light is on, my skimmer almost stops working, but when its not, its working overtime. What about running skimmer and fuge opposite of each other? That would save electricity(not sure if thats why your doing it)

Also, doesn't a skimmer also help to get air into the water column?
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Negative effects of not running a skimmer Empty Re: Negative effects of not running a skimmer

Post by dfladermaus Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 pm

The aeration from the skimmer is very important, especially as the tank size goes up. You will see a definite fluctuation in both pH and oxygen content without it. Aside from that, if you have a nice DSB and what not you can totally go skimmerless.
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 pm

I ran my 39 G reef skimmerless for about a year with no issues. As Paul stated, you'll need some other form of getting the water oxengeinated. Good water movement with surface aggatiaton works best. the only other thing is more water changes and less food in the tank. Also less animals to keep the bio load in check.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 am

Yeah, I have 4 tangs and a bunch of fish. I ran skimmerless for over a month while waiting for a replacement pump for my BK. Just a thought if I can go without a skimmer.
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm

You can do anything you want Mike. Whether it works well enough for you to be happy and successful is a whole different story. Smile

Back in the mid nineties, I ran plenty of tanks skimmerless. Pretty heavy bioloads. I had a lot of sand in them though. Usually 10+" DSB. I used a lot of chaeto and halimeda and other algaes too.

During my undergrad I had a senior research project on DSB vs skimmer. We had a whole team working on it. Was fun, and found very little difference if you set them both up the right way. Though the water in the DSB was always a bit "yellower" but that is easy to fix.
    Sandman
    Sandman
    Charter Member

Post by Sandman Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:16 pm

I have been running my tank without a skimmer or 5 months. Although I have never rana tank with one, I believe mine is doin just fine. I stay strict to my water change schedule as run a 4 inch sandbed. My new tank will have a skimmer though.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Probably won't go skimmerless when I'm trying to keep more sps in my tank. Also I don't have a deep sand bed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:35 am