MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

4 posters

TDS of RO (not DI)?

Cruzer
    Cruzer
    Charter Member

TDS of RO (not DI)? Empty TDS of RO (not DI)?

Post by Cruzer Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Hello all,

Okay I have been buying top off water and pre mixed saltwater from a local LFS. The reason, it has been convienent and I have not had a chance to get an RODI setup, will very soon. I was not concerned about using the LFS water other than the price until I found out that they do not have a DI stage on their water system. I should have asked then what their TDS is but have not yet.
    I am having a small fight with Red Slime at the moment. I figure it is from moving the tank, feeding a little too much and maybe a high TDS or phosphate level in the water that I am using.
    Anybody local using RO only and know what your TDS reading is before the DI stage?
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

TDS of RO (not DI)? Empty Re: TDS of RO (not DI)?

Post by sisterlimonpot Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm in oxnard and I get 10 before the DI. dwolson2 lives in your area and I believe he gets 2-4 before the DI.
    Cruzer
    Cruzer
    Charter Member

Post by Cruzer Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:35 pm

So maybe not a huge factor but still a factor. I think it is more from the move and getting everything stired up. Been kind of just waiting and let things normalize before changing anything. Going to order a RODI unit, also going to set up and start runing the Phosban reactor that came with the tank, and feed more efficiently.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:37 pm

I have 7 right now, I found that if I run a 1 micron sediment it gets lower(3-4) but the BRS replacement kit comes with a 5 micron. Are you running chaeto? willing to? That helped me tremendously, and doesn't cost anything. If you want some, I can give you some.
    Cruzer
    Cruzer
    Charter Member

Post by Cruzer Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:47 pm

I am not running any chaeto and do not have the ability to yet on this tank set up. This tank was/is kind of a test to see how my Lady and the kids are going to take to it before going bigger. Currently do not have a sump or anything. I think we will be going bigger (again) after the holidays.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:22 am

If/when you go bigger, leave room or chaeto. Even if you don't use it. I really like it. It has taken away all the hair algea.
    Cruzer
    Cruzer
    Charter Member

Post by Cruzer Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Well,

I bought some Hanna checkers and did some tests last night. I have some Phosphate (0.03) in the tank water. What kind of surprised me is my makeup water has a reading of (0.06). Ordered an RO/DI unit today so I have control of what is going into the tank.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:31 pm

I learned my mistake by trusting RO/DI water or mixed saltwater. The RO/DI unit is a very good investment!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:01 am