MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

2 posters

Questions on setting up a Calcium Reactor

nikecivic
    nikecivic

Questions on setting up a Calcium Reactor Empty Questions on setting up a Calcium Reactor

Post by nikecivic Sat May 25, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm planning to use a calcium reactor for my upcoming 180g tank. I have a few questions...

What king of pump do you use to dose the sump from the CaRx? Can I use my Bubble Magus doser?

Can I use my Reef Keeper Lite to monitor the pH and control the CO2?

Is there a specific type of calcium media that I need to use?
    ericpkeith
    ericpkeith

Questions on setting up a Calcium Reactor Empty Re: Questions on setting up a Calcium Reactor

Post by ericpkeith Mon May 27, 2013 10:56 pm

Seems like you didn't get any answers so I'll try to help. I used to run calcium reactors, including making my own in the past.

Calcium reactors, if you're referring to the kind that uses a reaction chamber and co2 gas, require pumps that can handle back pressure. Most people use Eheim hobby pumps but there are many now that can do the job. I've never used the Bubble Magnus doser, but if it can handle back pressure, i.e. push water through a sealed chamber, then it will work, assuming it has the correct flow rate. This, you will have to check based on the model of reactor you are using. For a 180 gallon tank, you will probably require a dual-chamber model...which are common these days.

As far as media, any crushed coral will do as long as it's course. I have buckets of crushed coral from old tanks that I used to use. Also, you can do an internet search on "Calcium Reactor Media" and come up with quite a few brands. Each have their own claim to as why the are better.

I'm not familiar with the Reef Keeper Lite but as long as it monitors pH, you can use it. The idea is to make sure you don't have a big swing in pH to the down side. If the Reef Keeper lite is a controller, it can shut-off the Co2 based on set pH values. Honestly, I find using a pH controller to be overkill. You can use the pH sensor as a monitor to ensure you are dosing at a rate that maintains a constant, "safe" pH, say like 7.9-8.3

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:06 pm