MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

5 posters

Best Birthday Present!

MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Best Birthday Present! Empty Best Birthday Present!

Post by MxReEfEr92 Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 am

My best friend and I face timing. It was 0002 here and 1202 hours there, he is in Oman 8640 miles away, Most of you on here are military guys and I thought you guys could relate to this. Super stoked great way to end a birthday.
    Best Birthday Present! ScreenShot2013-02-25at120142AM_zpsfef3592d
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Best Birthday Present! Empty Re: Best Birthday Present!

Post by sisterlimonpot Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 pm

I haven't deployed since all this new gadgetry came out. I used to stand in line for hours on my day off to get to a phone so I can get a scratchy line out to loved ones and we were limited one 15 minute phone call a week and to save money the operator would cut the phone line after 15 minutes, sometimes they would get distracted and we'd get an extra 5 minutes on the line, we thought we were getting away with murder when that happened. I would imagine that these new technologies make it easier to stay in touch. Almost make things bearable.

These guys today have it too easy.
    calistyle
    calistyle

Post by calistyle Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

"These guys today have it too easy."

Sounds like an AT&T commerical.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Sounds like a crusty old military man....lol Glad to hear you got to chat with him. I also know the feeling of SLP, I was on the other end for my step dad. broken phone calls, or we even once had to drive to base just to talk to him. kind of stunk(especially since I didn't like the guy lol) I remember it was really hard on my mom.
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Sounds like a good day, and happy B day.

Even SLP had it easy. I had to number my letters going back to the wife so she could read them in order. She would sometimes get later, higer number, letters weeks before she got the earlier, lower number letters. It all depended on where we were when they picked up our mail sack. Had a few times where she got a stack of letters after I had returned home.

For so called "E mails', you would type out a letter, save it to a disc, take it to the data techs who would upload it and send it out when we got connection to a satallite at night. The the wife had to go down to the USO to get the "Email" when they printed it out.

I remember standing in line at a trailer on the pier waiting for a phone and my 15 min phone call. But I'd call during the day home time to my cousin on a DSN line who was a Govt employee and have him connect me to my house. Then I could talk longer than the 15 min. We had a few other numbers that we could use and get longer than our 15 min. Wink

But yep, guys have it a lot easier now days.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:30 am