MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

3 posters

clam placement

Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

clam placement Empty clam placement

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:38 am

Ok I wound up getting a clam at the frag swap. I conned Dale out of it after he bought it from Paul. Wink I'd been eyeing it all day and was about to pull the trigger when I saw it was missing. But I found it.

Now my problem. When I got it, it was attached to a shell. I placed it in my rocks and it opened up imeaditley. So I'm thinking all is good. Well the next day, it's not opening as much and I noticed that every time the powerhead that was near it turned on, it would close up. I also noticed that it had let go from the shell. I was going to move it but the next day, it was MIA.
    So yesterday I took my rocks apart and found it. I moved it farther away from the pump and in a more secure area. The clam was opening once again but not fully like it was in Pauls frag tank. This morning, it had once again moved off the shell. I'm not sure if it's moving or something nocked it off. But I haven't seen any of my fish bother it.

So my question is, should it go in the rocks or on the sand? How much flow? Does it need to be in a constant low flow like down on the sand? Thanks for any help. I'm hopeing I can finally get a clam to live in my tank.
    Saybng

clam placement Empty Re: clam placement

Post by Saybng Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 am

I also got one from frag show and it also came from the shell it was attached to, he has now reattached himself to a live rock and location is mid of tank at highest point of live rock. My tank is 48"x17dx16h about 4 from water level. This morning he is fully opened and looks good.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:33 pm

My clam is sitting on the sand bed but my tank is only 24" tall.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 pm

clam placement 20121205_184133
    My clam on the sand
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 am

Yea, he "jumped" off the rock again and I found him in the sand. But he was open and happy. So I moved his "shell" down to the sand in front so I could see him. So far he hasn't moved in a few days. Guess there was still a little too much flow up on that rock.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:20 am