MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

April 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

+2
Ace25
scubajaren
6 posters

LED lighting

scubajaren
    scubajaren

LED lighting Empty LED lighting

Post by scubajaren Thu May 09, 2013 7:18 pm

I want to upgrade my lighting on my 50g I have been looking at different fixtures and brands im really liking the EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w Pro LED Light Fixture. Does anyone have one and if so how do you like it?
    Ace25

Location : https://www.facebook.com/groups/CentralCaliforniaCoastReefers/

LED lighting Empty Re: LED lighting

Post by Ace25 Thu May 09, 2013 7:45 pm

I don't own one but I have played with them all and tested them with my PAR meter. The Pro models are really great lights. If you get one you will not be disappointed.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Thu May 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Calistyle has a radion pro, he upgraded from a G2 radion hope he will chime in.
    scubajaren
    scubajaren

Post by scubajaren Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Cool I have only seen the gen 1 and 2 in action if like to hear about the pro its a chunk of change to buy the pro
    calistyle
    calistyle

Post by calistyle Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 pm

Can't go wrong with the Radion. If money is a concern you could always look to pick up a used Gen1 and see how you like it. If you find yourself wanting more, simply do the ecotech upgrade path for 300 more to get the Pro. Total path to a Pro could be 350 (used gen1) 300 (upgrade cost) 38 (shipping), 690 ish.

I like the UV pop and extra LEDs, but really wish it was truly wireless in terms of control. If you do go Radion, just be sure to start it at around 35% intensity or watch your corals fry like many fish from Cory's (mxreefers) tank.

If you prefer to see in person, I can show you mine some time (Live in Simi).
    scubajaren
    scubajaren

Post by scubajaren Fri May 10, 2013 1:19 am

I read that I can control every setting from my Mac book wirelessly so that's not true and yea it's like to come see it sometime I'm in ventura off of seaward are you close to the 101
    calistyle
    calistyle

Post by calistyle Fri May 10, 2013 10:19 am

Not wirelessly. You have to have a PC/Mac plugged into the Radion, then you can use an ipad or another device to control the radion. It's rather pathetic and annoying.

However, it really only matters when your trying to initially set it up, but still very misleading.
    scubajaren
    scubajaren

Post by scubajaren Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

Yeah that's really miss leading how hard was it to set up and to get the spectrum down correctly and to change all the settings to the way you wanted it to work
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Fri May 10, 2013 1:54 pm

If you use ecosmart live, setup is much easier. I just used the program and thought it was a little bit of a PITA, but the ecosmart live is def better.
    ericpkeith
    ericpkeith

Post by ericpkeith Fri May 17, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm a little late to the game here but, if DIY is what you are comfortable with, there are amazing options that haven't been mentioned yet. I build my own LED systems from time to time, and if I were to do one right now, I'd base it off of the newest Luxeon M series leds, which are a DIY'ers dream. These actually produce more PAR than 4x individual Luxeon Rebels or 4x anything at the moment. I've already prototyped a fixture for this new M series...which is really not complicated: 2"x2" aluminum heatsink ($2.50...CPU cooler surplus), 12VDC muffin fan ($1.75), 120VAC to 12VDC 700mA LED driver ($5 on ebay), thermal paste, and maybe a PTC thermistor for fan speed control (simple circuit for speeding up the fans as temp increases...reduces fan noise).

Take a look at Stevesleds to see what's available. I don't get anything for pushing their website, I just like it as Steve is far ahead of everyone else. http://shop.stevesleds.com/Luxeon-M-12-watt-LEDs_c37.htm

By the way, to keep down driver costs, there are plenty of bare-bones 12VDC chinese drivers on Ebay where you can get like 10x for <$15 (non-dimmable) or 5x dimmable ones for <$20...if you look around. I use these all the time and they work fine. I prefer Steves' though as they are made in the U.S. and will last 10+ years. I use drivers when I want to use my own DC source, i.e. repurpose 12-24VDC surplus power supplies I have lying around.

Here's a guy who did a system using 3x Luxeon M LEDs...probably bought from Steve.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSntrr4LD8s

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:11 am