MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

April 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

+3
nikecivic
MxReEfEr92
sisterlimonpot
7 posters

Scheduled power ouatage

sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Scheduled power ouatage Empty Scheduled power ouatage

Post by sisterlimonpot Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:05 pm

I received a notice in the mail the other day stating that we will have a scheduled power outage on Tuesday from 4-6pm. this will be the first time that the power will be off for such a long time since I moved here and judging from the experiences of everyone else I doubt that it will go back on after only 2 hours.

I want to be totally prepared for this so today I pulled out my generator and fired it up just to make sure everything was working properly. The motor fired up first try and I was able to transfer power very easily. The only thing I have to do before Tuesday is get a couple more gallons of fuel.

This will be the first time the generator will be powering the tank for an extended period so hopefully things go smoothly.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Scheduled power ouatage Empty Re: Scheduled power ouatage

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:29 pm

I am sure everything will go smoothly
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 am

SCE gave me the same notice but no evidence of anything changed.
    bvysochin

Post by bvysochin Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:33 am

Mine was out a few days ago from 8 am - 5 pm. They had a portion of the road closed and even had traffic control. Generators do make things much easier! I think I went through a gallon and a half or so of fuel..
    joflo

Scheduled power ouatage Empty power outage

Post by joflo Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:38 am

Last month power went off in Ventura for 17 hours, I was able to save most of my stock by doing water changes
    every 3 hours of about 15%

joflo
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:04 pm

joflo wrote:Last month power went off in Ventura for 17 hours, I was able to save most of my stock by doing water changes
    every 3 hours of about 15%

joflo

Hey John, where have you been?
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:36 am

As a reminder we received the automated phone call last night from the power company and it turns out that I had my times wrong, it wasn't 4-6pm it was 4-6am.
    No big deal, I usually get up at 4:30 anyway. Here's the kicker... I was up at 4, the electricity didn't go out until 4:30 and I didn't rush to turn the generator on because I wanted to give the neighbors as much quiet time as possible. I waited until 5:10.
    I started the engine, let it warm up, and because I planned ahead and had all the extension cords prepositioned I didn’t have much else to do but plug everything in. once everything was plugged in and I assured the tank was up and running, I get up to pull the refrigerator out to get to the plug in the back and I hear the microwave beep and I look over to discover the clock on the stove is blinking… All that work for nothing!!!
    I didn’t want to say anything to Cory to jinx it but yesterday I wanted to comment that because I had it all planned out that the power was only going to be out for a few minutes. Sure enough that was the case…
    If there’s a silver lining it is this… I want to outfit the generator with a quieter muffler, it’s not extremely loud but I would imagine that it was loud enough to be annoying to the neighbors.
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 am

There's an easier fix to power outages.

Move next door to a fire or police station. Their grid rarley goes down. Wink
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 pm

sisterlimonpot wrote:As a reminder we received the automated phone call last night from the power company and it turns out that I had my times wrong, it wasn't 4-6pm it was 4-6am.
    No big deal, I usually get up at 4:30 anyway. Here's the kicker... I was up at 4, the electricity didn't go out until 4:30 and I didn't rush to turn the generator on because I wanted to give the neighbors as much quiet time as possible. I waited until 5:10.
    I started the engine, let it warm up, and because I planned ahead and had all the extension cords prepositioned I didn’t have much else to do but plug everything in. once everything was plugged in and I assured the tank was up and running, I get up to pull the refrigerator out to get to the plug in the back and I hear the microwave beep and I look over to discover the clock on the stove is blinking… All that work for nothing!!!
    I didn’t want to say anything to Cory to jinx it but yesterday I wanted to comment that because I had it all planned out that the power was only going to be out for a few minutes. Sure enough that was the case…
    If there’s a silver lining it is this… I want to outfit the generator with a quieter muffler, it’s not extremely loud but I would imagine that it was loud enough to be annoying to the neighbors.

haha better to be safe then sorry. Our honda is super quiet, I would google honda generator exhaust to give you an Idea of what is good. When I get my own place I am going to have my electric start wired into an apex breakout box and somehow auto start the generator
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am

Cory,
    The breakout box is only an input. You can however use an outlet to control a relay to start your generator. You will need a UPS though to do that(since when the power goes out, so will your ability to start the generator from the apex, because it won't have power)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:35 pm