MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

April 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

5 posters

Alk depleting but not Calc

Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Alk depleting but not Calc Empty Alk depleting but not Calc

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:52 pm

OK, I've been doing my water testing on a regular basis now to try and figure things out and get them stabilised so I can grow corals. I've noticed a few things and probably need some help.

My calc seems to stay steady. I can get it to drop some on occasion but when I add in more calc, it seems to stay at the upper level for some time before it will start to drop.

My Alk seems to constantly be dropping. I'm dosing on a regular basis and always need to add alk but not calc.

my PH is staying steady.

I recently checked my Mag and it's a bit on the low side.

The specifics:
    IO salt mixed using RO water to 35 PPT.
    Seachem Reef advantage calicum addative.
    Seachem Reef builder addative.

Mostly LPS corals. I can't seem to keep SPS at this time.

PH runs from 8.2-8.4 depending on the time of day I check it.

My Calc ranges from 420 to 480 PPM. When it drops to around 400, I'll add a dose of calicum and it jumps up to around 440 or more. I'm using 1/2 Tbls of the calc in dry powder form. It takes almost a week to drop the Calc 20 PPM.

My alk is around 10 Dkh. I dose 1/2 Tbls of Alk dry powder twice a week. The Alk will drop 1 Dkh every 2 days.

I checked my Mag this weekend and it's at 1380 PPM.

In the past when I had my 72G tank full of SPS corals, I was dosing twice as much Calc as I was Alk. And I was adding 2 Tbls Alk and 4 Tbs calc a week. Now for some reason, it seems to be the oppisite in my 400G tank. The containers I have say that the Alk treats twice as much volume as the same size container as the calc. i.e two times more calc addition as Alk.

I run a smaller skimmer but it's pulling out some good stuff. I also measured my Nitrates and they are hovering around 10 PPM. I started using a Dr. Tims pearls in a reactor a few week ago to help with the nitrates and phosophates but I've had this alk/calc issue for some time now. I have used the Waste Away and it slowed down the alge growth on the glass, hence my move to the reactor and pearls.

I have a 10 year old 3" hawaian beach sand bed. I also have a 5 year old 4" sand bed in my sump. Could my sand bed be releasing calicum back into the water when it gets stirred up by the fish or me?

Any ideas? Should I raise my Mag? I have some epsom salt if I need to raise it. I don't normally add it as the Reef advantage Calicum has both Mag and Stronium in with the Calicum. But I'm not adding much of it at this time.

I have had a few times when I tested that my Alk dropped 1 Dkh and my Calc dropped 20 PPM which is about normal but it hasn't been consistant. Also I'm not seeing any of the growth from any of my corals like I have in the past.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Alk depleting but not Calc Empty Re: Alk depleting but not Calc

Post by MxReEfEr92 Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:20 pm

I have noticed with the addition of LPS corals into my tank and as well as adding my clam, my alk drops 3x faster then my calc. I just adjust with dosing more of the alk then calcium.
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:04 pm

I did a little more reading on RC and think I am going to drop my calc some, down around 8 or 9, so that it's closer to NSW and se if anything changes.
    bvysochin

Post by bvysochin Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Hows your coraline algae growth?
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:44 pm

You don't need to dose equal parts of alk & calcium. If you dose & test daily you can dial in the amount that your tank needs. I'm dosing around 90ml of calcium and alk.

Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:07 am

I have no Coaline alage growth. I have a smal patch on a rock I got from Mike but it hasn't grown any in the several months it's been in the tank.

Blawson
    Donating Member

Post by Blawson Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:17 am

I know I mentioned this on another thread, but could not find the right article... Here is a good one though:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

Some good explanation but one thing to point out... 2.8 Alk drop should be about 20ppm ca. That actually sounds close to what you are describing above.
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the link. I hadn't read that one yet.
    I'm just going to keep an eye on things for a bit, lower my alk some, and see what happens. Time is my friend. Wink
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Have you tried to test and dose daily to see what your system is consuming?
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:31 am

Right now I'm testing every 2nd or 3rd day. I tested yesterday and even though I had dosed both Alk and Calc a few days prior, my Alk had gone up and my calc had gone down. So basically my balance in my tank has swung the otehr way. Instead of using Alk, now it's using Calc. Maybe I'm getting close to being back to normal. In the past, I use dto does Alk once ofr every two times I dosed calc. It looks like I'm heading back in that direction.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 am