MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

March 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

2 posters

Cheaper 2 part dosing supplies

nikecivic
    nikecivic

Cheaper 2 part dosing supplies Empty Cheaper 2 part dosing supplies

Post by nikecivic Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:15 pm

If you are tired of using BRS and their high shipping costs, this article is for you.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

I only use BRS because I don't have dose as much because of my volume. The Soda Ash is simple, baking soda that is baked to remove the moisture.

sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Cheaper 2 part dosing supplies Empty Re: Cheaper 2 part dosing supplies

Post by sisterlimonpot Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Good articles. I read through those a few years back and o was ready to start making my own then I started reading and getting testimonies from those that have done this. The problem with a lot of those ingredients is that they aren't pure, you add a lot of bad impurities to the tank as well and over time they begin to accumulate and become toxic to the tank.

brs uses something close to medical grade ingredients and its the purest you can get.
    If I'm wrong Paul will definitely correct me.

I've read lots of threads of people crediting their home made 2 part for their tank crash. To me it's safer and peace of mind to get it from BRS.

plus being here in California, can you locally buy ice melt at a local store?

nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:50 am

I agree since I never followed the homemade recipes. I've read some threads where reefers have found pharmaceutical grade CaCl in the IE. I remember Lawrence using it with no issues. As far as the Soda Ash, seems like the Baking Soda would be okay for the tank if we can use it for human consumption. Maybe Paul could explain it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am