MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

March 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

DIY: Nanocube PC ballast

nikecivic
    nikecivic

DIY: Nanocube PC ballast Empty DIY: Nanocube PC ballast

Post by nikecivic Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:17 pm

My lights went out on my Nano Cube 6. I wanted to find a cheap fix to this light because I am only using this tank as a refugium at work. I basically have caulerpa, cheato and xenia in my tank so I didn't want to spend money on upgrading to LED or another PC fixture or components.

So I found a thread from Nano Reef and followed the same steps.
    http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...ic=63992&st=20

The stock bulb is a 18watt PC light and the Nano-Reef thread uses a common Compact Flourescent (CFL) bulb used in any bulb socket at home. So I found a bulb at home that was 23 watts and broke the tube and removed the circuit board inside the housing.

DIY: Nanocube PC ballast IMAG0722

I used P1 as the (+) power and P2 as (-) power.

Since the PC bulb is has 4 straight pins I wired them this way:
    (left to right)
    P3 first left pin
    P4 second pin
    P5 third pin
    P6 last pin

I soldered wires to the circuit board and and twisted the rest of the wires with a cap.

DIY: Nanocube PC ballast IMAG0724

DIY: Nanocube PC ballast IMAG0725

DIY: Nanocube PC ballast IMAG0726

I basically gutted the hood and removed the stock ballast, power transformer, fans, nite leds and fuse.

DIY: Nanocube PC ballast IMAG0723

I tested everything for light off before I closed it all up.

DIY: Nanocube PC ballast IMAG0729

I reassembled everything and tried to tuck all the wires and circuit board behind the reflector.

DIY: Nanocube PC ballast IMAG0730

Everything works great and I connected the circuit to the switch inside the hood. I don't know how long the bulb will last since it is rated for 23 watts and the buld is 18 watts.

Hope this helps anyone who needs a cheap fix. I guess this would work in theory for anyone who wants to use it for multiple bulbs and T5 lighting.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm