MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

April 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

+2
MxReEfEr92
nikecivic
6 posters

How often do you do water changes and how much?

Poll

How often do you do a water change to your tank?

[ 4 ]
    How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_lcap29%How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_rcap [29%] 
    [ 1 ]
    How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_lcap7%How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_rcap [7%] 
    [ 0 ]
    How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_lcap0%How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 4 ]
    How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_lcap29%How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_rcap [29%] 
    [ 0 ]
    How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_lcap0%How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_lcap7%How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_rcap [7%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 3 ]
    How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_lcap21%How often do you do water changes and how much? I_vote_rcap [21%] 

Total Votes: 14
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

How often do you do water changes and how much? Empty How often do you do water changes and how much?

Post by nikecivic Fri May 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey Guys, thought it would be interesting to know what is everyones routine when it comes to doing water changes to your tank.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

How often do you do water changes and how much? Empty Re: How often do you do water changes and how much?

Post by MxReEfEr92 Fri May 11, 2012 10:36 pm

i do them about every 3-6 months
    Sandman
    Sandman
    Charter Member

How often do you do water changes and how much? Empty Re: How often do you do water changes and how much?

Post by Sandman Fri May 11, 2012 11:26 pm

coryg wrote:i do them about every 3-6 months

Are you fish only?
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Fri May 11, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm about the same. about every 4 months I do a 10% water change.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Fri May 11, 2012 11:31 pm

You can save money on doing less water changes. I am currently doing smaller wc weekly.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sat May 12, 2012 12:51 am

Sandman wrote:
    coryg wrote:i do them about every 3-6 months

Are you fish only?

Nope Mixed sps dominant
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Sat May 12, 2012 1:16 am

There should be a whenever I get around to it option.... Lol
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sat May 12, 2012 1:26 am

Lol, the poll was only limited to 10 options!
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sat May 12, 2012 2:28 am

dwolson2 wrote:There should be a whenever I get around to it option.... Lol

hahahahahaha that would be so great!
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sat May 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Also, I've met a few that claim to never do water changes.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sat May 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Yea I have a buddy who never dose them he runs everything gfo carbon bio pellets, he has like 10'' of sponge, ATS, like 4 filter socks has a protein skimmer rated for 4 times his tank. But with all the maintenance needed for all that stuff Its easier to do a WC
    Sandman
    Sandman
    Charter Member

Post by Sandman Sat May 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Although doing a water change might be a pain, I use it for maintenance on my sump. Each week I am siphoning out all of the gatherings in my skimmer section, cleaning the skimmer, and "checking the oil." It seems to be working for me. Since no two tanks are alike, it really depends on the system and if it can handle NOT having the water changed. What we feed is also a factor as some foods introduce negative items into the system and water changes help to extract some of those items. I think it boils down to knowing your individual tank and how it reacts to its surroundings.
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Sun May 13, 2012 3:55 am

Well stated Luke
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Mon May 14, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm at about 40% a month. Around 200G at a time. Smile But I'm in a rebuilding stage right now so not a lot in the tank. The water change is just so I can get in and clean the tank. Smile
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Mon May 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Crusty, have you tried smaller more frequent wc and seen a difference?
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Tue May 15, 2012 11:20 am

Kind of hard to do right now with me being gone for 4 weeks at a time. Plus it's hard to get to the bottom of the tank to clean unless you drain out at least 100G. That or I start going snorkling to do the cleaning. Wink

Remember the tank is 3' deep and I have short arms.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 am