MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

March 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

+2
reefer87
seamonkey
6 posters

Ich Devestation

seamonkey

Ich Devestation Empty Ich Devestation

Post by seamonkey Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:10 pm

I just wanted to pass along my experience as a warning with hopes that some of you will not make the same mistake as I have.

I had a stable running 150g Reef with a large sump for the past 3 years. I recently decided to stock up on my livestock, so like all of us know, the best scenario is to have a quarantine tank setup to make sure pests and diseases are not introduced into your main system. I setup a quarantine tank, but before it had a chance to cycle, I got excited about ordering a bunch of livestock.

When the livestock arrived, I couldn't put them into the quarantine tank since it wasn't ready, so in haste, I added them directly to my main display tank.

After a week or so, I noticed Ich on my new large powder blue tang. Then quickly following, I noticed Ich on my hippo tangs, yellow tangs, etc. Within a few weeks of battling the Ich, I lost 95% of all of my fish, new additions and the ones I've had for 3 years. I tried treating my tank with Ich medications, adding garlic to the fish food and ensuring my parameters were all as good as they could be...which they were before and after the ich outbreak.

Some have said, this is part of the hobby, losing livestock to the inevitable ich plague. I realize now more than ever, avoiding the introduction of diseases and pests is essential to protecting your investment of money and joy you put into the hobby.

I have come to terms that I will never again introduce anything into my system without quarantining it first to avoid the same devastation I have experienced recently.

I know you have all read and heard that you SHOULD quarantine and/or treat new livestock before adding to your system, but I know that the vast majority of us do not.

I hope at least some of you heed my warning and avoid the same huge loss as I have had.

Fish lost to ich within the past month:
    - Blue spotted mexican jawfish ($132)
    - Powder blue tang
    - 3 yellow tangs
    - 5 hippo tangs
    - Flame angel
    - Mated pair of OC clown fish
    - Pink Pseudochromis
    - 4 green chromis
    - 2 barlett anthias
    - 2 six line wrasse
    - Mandarin goby

Thanks for reading,
    Kevin

reefer87
    reefer87

Ich Devestation Empty Re: Ich Devestation

Post by reefer87 Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Wow. I cringed when I read this. Sorry for your loss. I hope you get it all sorted and good luck.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:05 pm

I had an ich outbreak about a year ago and lost my YT, pair of True Percs, damsels, etc and the Blue Hippo survived even though get ich once in awhile. I feel your pain and I also do not quarantine my fish. I don't really plan on getting more fish right now. I've been lucky getting fish from other reefers and they tend to be healthier than from the store.

Btw, did you order your fish online and which site?
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Sorry to hear that, I had an ich outbreak last november, pulled them out to QT them and kill the ich that was still in my tank, and all my fish got sucked up into a powerhead that was too big for the QT! No where near your loss, how are the rest of the fish doing?
    seamonkey

Post by seamonkey Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:06 pm

I only have a couple fish left in my huge display. I think they will all die of ich. It is as if as the number of fish decrease, the ones left get ich worse.

I'm gonna let them ride it out. I plan to wait for at least 6 weeks from the last time I see ich in the tank before adding any more fish. I'm hoping I can break the cycle and start fresh, with the proper QT approach.
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Sucks Kevin! I feel your pain too. I lost a long list of fish worth way too much money in my old 180. I didnt lose them to ich though and had QT'd properly etc. My fish got sick after 6+months of no new additions. Not sure how it happened, but they got velvet, wiped out the entire tank save one wrasse. I lost 5 angels, two tangs, and two butterflies...its devastating! I almost quit the whole shebang. Anyone that says fish dont have personalities is lying.

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything.
    reefer87
    reefer87

Post by reefer87 Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:50 pm

I understand what you mean Paul. All fish bring some sort of personality to the tank. They are all entertaining to watch and discover the habits and lifestyles of each and everyone. We all knew when we started the hobby that we would eventually experience a loss of fish, coral, etc. It sucks and we can only do so much to prevent the loss but eventually mother nature or Murphy's law (which every you prefer), will take its course.
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Crusty Old Shellback
    Charter Member

Post by Crusty Old Shellback Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:41 am

Sorry to hear of your loss. PBTangs are known ich magnets it seems. They seem to get it no matter what you do. Stress seems to be a big contribuiting factor to them getting it and not fighing it off. Good luck in the future.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am