MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

April 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

4 posters

Correlation with Temperature and pH

sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Correlation with Temperature and pH Empty Correlation with Temperature and pH

Post by sisterlimonpot Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 pm

Mike and I were talking today about the graphs that our reef controllers display for temp and pH and the correlation that they share. It seems that every time the tanks temperature climbed, the pH would shortly follow suit, and of course when the temp drops so does the pH.

Why does this happen? Is it some type of reaction within the waters chemistry? If so what?

Or is that the nature of using a probe? Does it have something to do with the probe acting differently to varying temperatures that results in giving faulty readings?

Curious minds need to know...
    shapermike

Correlation with Temperature and pH Empty Re: Correlation with Temperature and pH

Post by shapermike Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:24 pm

I just looked at mine and it is interesting to see that is does.

Correlation with Temperature and pH Phand_10
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Correlation with Temperature and pH Empty Re: Correlation with Temperature and pH

Post by sisterlimonpot Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Thinking about it even more... and I know I'm slow.....I know...

When my tank gets warmer it's because the lights are on, and when the lights are on photosynthesis is taking place in the corals which raises the pH....

Is that the reason why?
    shapermike

Post by shapermike Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:36 pm

when photosynthesis happen the ph goes up and when the lights go out it goes down. My system has lights on for all most 14 hours total but 7 hours on one part of the system and then 7 hours on a different part of the system. For the real reason why this happened Paul might be able to explain or I could get DR Tim to give me an answer and I could post it hear. I am interested my self..Smile
    shapermike

Post by shapermike Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:39 pm

I just send an email to DR Tim to see what he has to say about this. I have learned a lot about water cem from him.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:10 pm

I've met him twice and have enjoyed our conversations. he certainly is a wealth of knowledge.
    shapermike

Post by shapermike Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:13 pm

you got that right
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 pm

Yes this is a good topic, maybe it can be presented at the next meeting. Btw, if you go to reeftronics and check other users data it matches the theory.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 am

That's what got me thinking more about it.
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:34 am

Two things, one is your pH setting on the controller temp compensated? 2, as you said when your lights are on your corals are photosynthesizing and your tank is also heating up. Your pH and temp should both go up when the lights are on unless you are running a very tight temp control, like chiller and heater to hit one temp.
    shapermike

Post by shapermike Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:10 am

ok hears that makes the levels change.

Per Dr Tim.

It's all due to carbon dioxide (CO2)

Photosynthesis consumes CO2 (and produces O2) and less CO2 means the pH goes up

Once the lights go off and photosynthesis stops the process reverses and as more CO2 enters the water the pH drops

it is funny I knew thing because that is what happend in a cal reactor. you inject co2 to lower the ph in the reactor to break doew the media in the reactor.
    dfladermaus
    dfladermaus
    Charter Member

Post by dfladermaus Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:23 pm

shapermike wrote:ok hears that makes the levels change.

Per Dr Tim.

It's all due to carbon dioxide (CO2)

Photosynthesis consumes CO2 (and produces O2) and less CO2 means the pH goes up

Once the lights go off and photosynthesis stops the process reverses and as more CO2 enters the water the pH drops

it is funny I knew thing because that is what happend in a cal reactor. you inject co2 to lower the ph in the reactor to break doew the media in the reactor.

That is exactly what both Jimmy and I were saying. What isnt addressed is Temp which is a variable that can be controlled to eliminate the temp spike if you want. You will still see the pH spike though. You can try to reduce the size of the spike with a refugium running at night, but it doesnt work too well. Your refugium would have to be huge. Even with all my tanks running at different times, I still see a spike in pH in the evenings when my biggest tank lights come on.
    shapermike

Post by shapermike Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:52 pm

I agree. It is interesting how every little thing can cause an effect on the parameters. Love this hobby… you learn some much and when you think you understand there is something new that comes up….Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 am