MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

March 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

+4
RussM
shapermike
sisterlimonpot
nikecivic
8 posters

Controller users

nikecivic
    nikecivic

Controller users Empty Controller users

Post by nikecivic Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 am

Anyone using a controller that can be access outside your home network? I use this site because its easier for me to see my tank parameters while I am at work. I recommend using www.reeftronics.net to log data outside of your controller. I find it useful if you are using a browser that will not allow you access a dynds site or using an app on your phone. You can find my tank parameters on this site.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Controller users Empty Re: Controller users

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:02 am

That is pretty cool. I was trying to turn your lights on but I guess you can't do that on that site. What type of info do you give the site?
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 am

Haha, nice try! You can only view data on the reeftronics site. I would have to login to the controller to turn on/off any channels via the dyndns or router address.

This is only for info if anyone was interested.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:28 am

Just sign up and provide dyndns info and he handles the rest. They log the data for 24 hrd, one week and one month. The graphs are great! Can anyone confirm there is a corelation with temperature and pH?
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:53 am

I looked at it and started to fill out the request sheet and then realized that I'm giving them all my information to access my controller, if they wanted to they could do whatever they like with my tank, turn the heaters on, bug my controller. I definitely don't feel comfortable about doing that so I stopped right there. It’s a great idea but for me the benefit doesn’t outweigh the risk.

nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:12 pm

I understand Jimmy, I, too was hesitant at first but I do not provide the username and password (only Neptune Controllers are required). And if the only channels controlled are my lights, heater and chiller. I guess if someone wanted to sabotage my system, those are the only channels that could be affected. I guess I am taking a risk including 100+ users.
    shapermike

Post by shapermike Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:23 am

cool site but if you have an apex controller you get all that and with using dyndns you can have access to all of it when you have a dhcp or ppoe ipaddress for you ISP.

I use reefchat to access my rss feed so I can have tank information on a web site or with my avatar on forums. I have not had any problems

But it is a risk just having your information out on the net but just being on the net you are at rick of being hacked.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:06 am

shapermike, you are still using the RKE? I might want to upgrade from the RKL to RKE but if I am only 4 channels, I won't really need to.
    RussM

Post by RussM Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:02 am

Hi everybody! I'm the system operator of Reeftronics

I fully understand the concerns about security expressed here - I am an IT consultant and am extremely conscious of security - it's part of my job, which includes conducting IT security assessments for my clients. Reeftronics was originally created solely for my own use; when other reefers started asking me to give them the same capability, I put extensive effort into providing ample security for members' controller usernames & passwords. I won't go into technical details for obvious reasons, but let me simply say that controller credentials are quite well protected.

The DA RKE & RKL controllers have status data available without authentication - no password required. At my request, Neptune added the capability to retrieve Apex status data in a read-only manner without authentication. So, Reeftronics does NOT need credentials for members' Apex controllers (Apex firmware v4.10 or newer has this feature, which is called "Open XML access." So, the only supported controller models which requires authentication to access status data is the AC3/AC3Pro.

"I looked at it and started to fill out the request sheet and then realized that I'm giving them all my information to access my controller, if they wanted to they could do whatever they like with my tank, turn the heaters on, bug my controller." 'Them' is just one person - me, who is a fellow reefer and an aquarium automation aficionado. Could I? Yes. Would I? Absolutely not!!! I assure you, I have no interest in messing with *anyone's* tank.

The graphs on Reeftronics are clear and fast - many people have commented that they prefer Reeftronics' graphs over those available in the controllers' embedded webpages or in the various smartphone apps. Plus, the data used for the graphs is stored independently of the controller. Sisterlimonpot, I know from your posts on RC that you have an AC3. What happens to all the probe data in the AC3 when the AC3 gets rebooted due to a power glitch or something? It's GONE! The data on Reeftronics will still be there though Smile

Reeftronics has a couple of benefits which may not be readily apparent:

- Some companies block access to residential IP addresses; several Reeftronics members use Reeftronics to check on their systems, because they cannot access their controller directly from their workplace.

- Reeftronics has an automatic email notification system. Reeftronics polls each member's controller(s) every 15 minutes to collect status data. If the Reeftronics server cannot communication with a given controller for an hour, an email is sent to the member. Another is sent after 6 hours of no communications, and still another after 12 hours of failed comms. This feature is credited with saving multiple tanks - the emails from Reeftronics were the first warning the member had of a problem. In one case, a member was on vacation - upon receiving the notification email on his smartphone, he called his tank sitter (who wasn't due to go by until late the next day). The sitter found that the return pump had smoked and a breaker had tripped, killing power to most of the system, including the controller. That one email saved many thousands of dollars in livestock.

sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:35 am

Russ,
    if I knew it was your program then I wouldn't have been concerned.

I really like the idea of getting an email notification if the power went out. ACIII doesn't offer anything of the sort.

is there an option to forego the email and get a text message instead?
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:32 am

Russ, Thanks for the clarification! I too have received an email when I had issues. I suggested this site because ot was useful to me.
    RussM

Post by RussM Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:21 pm

sisterlimonpot wrote:Russ,
    Thank you!
    I really like the idea of getting an email notification if the power went out. ACIII doesn't offer anything of the sort. Is there an option to forgo the email and get a text message instead?
    At the moment, no. The notification emails are not well suited for delivery as a text message. But I could easily add the capability to have a second email address associated with each controller upon request, which would then be used to send an abbreviated notification specifically formatted for delivery as SMS, in addition to the primary email notification. I actually considered doing this about 2 years ago when I did a major overhaul of parts of the Reeftronics software, but didn't do it because it seems so many people have smartphones with email capability.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:50 pm

RussM wrote:
    sisterlimonpot wrote:Russ,
    Thank you!
    I really like the idea of getting an email notification if the power went out. ACIII doesn't offer anything of the sort. Is there an option to forgo the email and get a text message instead?
    At the moment, no. The notification emails are not well suited for delivery as a text message. But I could easily add the capability to have a second email address associated with each controller upon request, which would then be used to send an abbreviated notification specifically formatted for delivery as SMS, in addition to the primary email notification. I actually considered doing this about 2 years ago when I did a major overhaul of parts of the Reeftronics software, but didn't do it because it seems so many people have smartphones with email capability.

I'm horrible for checking my email. I check it maybe twice a month, a text is more suited for me, even if it's just a text to say that an email was sent from Reeftronics.

What kind of information is sent via text.

I'm going to have create an account now. Thanks for taking the time to explain everything Russ.
    RussM

Post by RussM Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:04 pm

sisterlimonpot wrote:What kind of information is sent via text. Thanks for taking the time to explain everything Russ.
    I'm working on it now! Smile What I plan to do is make the TXT simply say something like "Sisterlimonpot, Reeftronics has been unable to communicate with your AC3 for the past hour/6 hours/12 hours)." This keeps it under the typical 160-character SMS segment limit.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:07 pm

If you have a T-mobile as your cell carrier, an email will be sent to you via text, ie. yourphonenumber@tmomail.net and takes care of your issue. I use it when I am on the navy ships that doesn't allow yahoo or gmail.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:25 pm

RussM wrote:
    sisterlimonpot wrote:What kind of information is sent via text. Thanks for taking the time to explain everything Russ.
    I'm working on it now! Smile What I plan to do is make the TXT simply say something like "Sisterlimonpot, Reeftronics has been unable to communicate with your AC3 for the past hour/6 hours/12 hours)." This keeps it under the typical 160-character SMS segment limit.

Awesome Russ,

that was a typo on my part, I meant to as what kind of info is sent through email?
    RussM

Post by RussM Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:33 pm

RussM wrote:
    Code for SMS notifications is written and tested. Smile
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:49 pm

OK Russ,

I sent you my information.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Russ, are you planning to make an App for the Android Market? I'm sure it would sell for a few bucks.

RussM

Post by RussM Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:18 pm

nikecivic wrote:Russ, are you planning to make an App for the Android Market? I'm sure it would sell for a few bucks.
    A Reeftronics app? Nope. And if I did, it would be for iPhone/iPad Wink There is an optional Reeftronics mobile theme for smartphones; some people like it, some don't.

There is an Android app for RKE/RKL: http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/mymobile-reef_itsi.html
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks for the info! I view the reeftronics data via the mobile theme and it works great just wondering if you were planning to make an app for the Android phones. For some reason, the Android App has issues with my phone and I have emailed the creator of the app but I gave up since I can see the my controller via the web browser.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm liking this website.

I like being able to see everything on 1 page, not sure if the apex does that but my ACIII doesn't.

Russ hooked it up to send me a text, i'm going to unplug the cat5 plug for an hour and see if I get a text and email.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 pm

just like clock work exactly 1 hour after unplugging the controller I received a text.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Nice! You should have checked out my apexjr while you were at my house. I definitely want to check this site out, when I'm not on my phone.
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:30 pm

So I signed up over my phone... Can't wait to see the site!
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 pm

its cool that we are all on the site so we can see each others parameters!
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Yea, so I can see that you had a pH jump a little while ago.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:59 pm

lol, the pH goes up when my doser doses Alk in the morning and pH goes up when the temperature increases in the evening.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:30 am

do you dose one large dose or do you have it spread out to dose 24 times a day?
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:43 am

I dose once a day and yes one lump sum. I tried to do multiple doses but it doesn't spike the pH high enough. Is there a better way?
    shortbus
    shortbus

Post by shortbus Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:50 am

You really don't want your PH to spike at all, the goal is to have it stable. it's better to have it greater than or less than 8.3 and maintain a set level than shoot for 8.3 once a day. that will shock your corals and stunt there color.
    fishfry
    fishfry

Post by fishfry Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:59 am

Nike,
    You have the BM? that will allow you to break up your dosing to 24 small doses throughout the day. That's what makes it better than a calcium reactor because you can maintain a certain level all day and not worry about your reactor going crazy and lowering your ph, killing everything in the tank.

I agree that setting it up to dose little doses throughout the day is better than 1 big shot. That's just my opinion, i'm no expert though.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 am

dwolson2 wrote:So I signed up over my phone... Can't wait to see the site!

What did you sign up as?

nikecivic wrote:I dose once a day and yes one lump sum. I tried to do multiple doses but it doesn't spike the pH high enough. Is there a better way?

I dose alk and calc 24 times a day. except the vodka I do that in 2 separate doses. Once I did that everything started to really take off.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:19 am

Yes I do have the BM doser. I will try to increase the dosing numbers. Do you really need to go up to 24?
    clownfish14
    clownfish14
    Admin

Post by clownfish14 Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:20 am

I dont see why not if you can might as well add as little as possiable at a time
    dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:11 am

Jimmy, dwolson2 as always.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:35 pm

dwolson, I think I know what you mean by pH spike in my graphs. When I was recalibrating my new pH probe I had to use a 7.00 & 10.00 calibration fluid and that is the reason there is a huge spike in my 7 day and 30 day graphs.
    sisterlimonpot
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:40 pm

did you buy your calibration fluid locally? if so where? if not I have to ask Paul to get some with his next order.
    shapermike

Post by shapermike Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:51 pm

On my system I does 10 times a day for 26 min each hour for alk and cal 10 times for 21 min each hour. alk verys from 8.10 to 8.21 on avarage.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:59 pm

No, I didnt get it locally.
    nikecivic
    nikecivic

Post by nikecivic Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:39 am

I finally added my phone numBer to reeftronics alerts and tested the function. I disconnected my wireless adapter from my controller and received the 1 hr alert from russ in my email and through test message. Anyways, everything works great!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am