MASVC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County

I forgot my password

April 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

4 posters

Ocreef Tesla 108W LED

Hking69
    Hking69

Ocreef Tesla 108W LED Empty Ocreef Tesla 108W LED

Post by Hking69 Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Well the six week wait is finally over. Just received my new light anxious to start housing some corals, Frogspawn, Zoas, and Mushrooms to start.
    First impression of the light has not been favorable: scratch
    No instructions.
    The light is supposed to fit a 36" tank and the brackets do stretch, but makes the light very unstable. One bracket seems to be either bent or welded crooked.
    Still trying to sort out the functions and will update with how that process evolves.If anyone has experience with this light I'm open to a lesson on operating it properly.
    Thanks to all that make this forum happen its really cool to have something local.
    http://www.ocreef.com/tesla_svelte_led_aquarium_light_fixture_24_inch_108_watts
    MRCYCS805
    MRCYCS805

Ocreef Tesla 108W LED Empty Re: Ocreef Tesla 108W LED

Post by MRCYCS805 Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Congrats on the new lights I've been tempted to purchase a couple of these for a while now but they're always on pre-order any pics will be cool how do you like the color I saw they said the Tesla went to 18k as the razor only went to 15k or somethinglike that that's what was bringing me more to this fixture plus the Price definitely keep us updated on how you like them and the features and what not
    Hking69
    Hking69

Post by Hking69 Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 pm

As of right now still can't get the light to save the parameters that I enter, every time you turn it off it defaults back to the factory loaded program. Also setting it to a lower intensity only seems to be possible by reprogramming all eight time zones. Afraid to leave it on because if it runs at full intensity before acclimating my tank it may cause harm. OCReef emailed me some instructions but they are not very comprehensive and seem to be for an older version of the light. I have a call and sent an email for to them for further assistance, still waiting.
    Hking69
    Hking69

Ocreef Tesla 108W LED Empty Update on Tesla from OCReef

Post by Hking69 Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Well first of all thank you Dave and Janet from OCReef your patience with a novice is appreciated. Second the last email I received is much more detailed and explains the operation of the light. My tank is a 65g. 36x18x24 and the Tesla can easily overpower it. It is extremely powerful and I'm taking a conservative approach to acclimating my tank. For now the maximum intensity I'm running is at 35% and the illumination period is at 10hrs. The Tesla light has 9 time settings for dusk to dawn andjustments and its going to take a while to figure out the best settings. If anyone can help, please comment.
    My concerns are for a RBTA and a Frogspawn coral.
    The light allows four different light spectrums to be adjusted individually, Red, Blue, White and Mixed, and now the hard part is matching each color with intensity and time period, again open to advice.
    As for the light, the leg brackets are flimsy when adjusted out to fit my 36" tank and the light visually sags. The power supply is louder than I anticipated and I can hear the it over my pump noise. It does run very cool and doesn't seem to add any heat to my tank water. Overall the adjustments are limited to 9 light periods, the remote has to be held close to the light to use, and certain remote buttons don't appear to have any function. The LED's are very bright and add a beautiful shimmer to my tank.
    Still forming an overall opinion for now, I feel the light is very good but very basic, hopefully since it has been design to be modular, upgrades to function and programmability will follow.
    Well this is a first impression from a novice that has dedicated his time and his wallet to the enjoyment of marine aquaria.

dwolson2
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Hmm sinks the programing isn't the greatest. That really makes or breaks a fixture.
    Hking69
    Hking69

Ocreef Tesla 108W LED Empty Latest on Tesla 108W from OCReef

Post by Hking69 Mon May 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Well it wasn't all me, seems the controller isn't functioning correctly which makes it impossible to set properly. The folks at OCR offered to send another one supposedly its all plug and play easy to change. BUT today I came home and the light had turned on with all parameters set at 99% for an unknown length of time. My water temp was elevated and my RBTA is now a pale whitish color. Seems the light is coming on aside the programming at some unspecified time.
    This is becoming very frustrating and I'm hoping to talk to someone at OCR ready to move on to a different product if these issues aren't satisfied SOON!
    Hking69
    Hking69

Ocreef Tesla 108W LED Empty Tesla LED Light by OCReef

Post by Hking69 Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 pm

After waiting a couple of weeks for the parts I finally received new longer legs for the light, also a new fan, and mostly a new side panel with controller. Unfortunately after taking the side panel off my light I found that the replacement panel had a different wiring connector and I was unable to replace it. Therefore still don't have a properly functioning light. Also I suspect that the replacement part may have come from a different fixture judging from the scratches and grind marks on the side panel. Not a happy camper right now!
    MxReEfEr92
    MxReEfEr92
    Admin

Post by MxReEfEr92 Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 pm

This is a real bummer to hear!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:54 am